LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT EXPERIENCES
Our learning and development offerings focus on developing the leadership behaviors and essential skills needed to ensure our continued success and the execution of our ‘Own the Game’ strategy. Our ambition is to inspire and nurture talented and diverse leaders who exemplify our leadership behaviors.
We offer a portfolio of leadership development experiences designed for every level of management across all markets and functions. These include the ‘People Leader Experience’ (‘PLE’) ‘Manager Development Experience’ (‘MDE’) ‘Director Development Experience’ (‘DDE’), and ‘Executive Development Experience’ (‘EDE’). These interactive learning experiences support the development of leadership skills that are directly linked to the participants’ current roles and responsibilities, as well as being aligned to our values. In 2021, 1,885 employees enrolled in ‘MDE’ or ‘DDE,’ and of those 1,444 employees graduated the programs through a virtual experience. Additionally, 1,705 people leaders and/or those who aspire to lead people enrolled in ‘PLE,’ with 1,437 completing the program through a virtual, collaborative experience.
SUCCESSION MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP GROUPS
Our succession management approach aims to ensure stability and certainty in business continuity through the development of strong internal pipelines of talent for critical leadership positions. We achieve this through a globally consistent succession process that identifies these critical leadership positions within the organization and matches top talent as successors for these roles. Furthermore, we drive the translation of succession planning into realizable development plans to prepare successors for their next steps. The leadership groups we have established serve as succession pools for the executive roles of our organization.
We have five standing groups to ensure leadership excellence and develop future leaders. The first two groups, the ‘Core Leadership Group’ (‘CLG’) and the ‘Extended Leadership Group’ (‘ELG’), focus on excellence in execution of our strategy and ensuring global consistency. The remaining three groups focus on developing global, regional, local, and functional succession pipelines at different levels.
- The ‘Core Leadership Group’ is made up of approximately 20 members of our senior leadership population. Members of this group jointly represent critical positions and roles across our company worldwide. This group partners with the Executive Board in leading the execution of our business strategy. The ‘CLG’ is also responsible for developing and inspiring the next generation of leaders. In addition, selected members of this group are potential successors for the Executive Board.
- The ‘Extended Leadership Group’ has approximately 110 members. The ‘ELG’ collaborates across markets and functions to lead the execution of our strategic initiatives and to drive continuous improvement and consistency throughout the organization. The ‘ELG’ also mentors and sponsors the ‘Global High Potential Group’ and ‘Local High Potential Group.’ In addition, selected members are potential successors for the ‘CLG.’
- The ‘Global High Potential Group’ (‘GHIPO’) enables us to identify and develop global high-potential leaders who have the ability to take on more complex, demanding, and higher-level responsibilities at an executive level. The second ‘GHIPO’ generation with approximately 40 members and a balanced gender split completed their development experience in the first quarter of 2021. At the end of 2021, 85% of the active and alumni ‘GHIPO’ participants made positive career movements through either a promotion to the next level or lateral, cross-cultural, or cross-functional moves.
- The ‘Local High Potential Group’ (‘LHIPO’) enables us to identify and develop local high-potential leaders who have the ability to take on more complex, demanding, and higher-level responsibilities at a global or regional leadership level. The program is designed to build peer relationships and to give participants cross-functional and cross-cultural exposure. The second ‘LHIPO’ generation, made up of approximately 170 members of 41 different nationalities, representing all markets and functions, concluded their development journey in the fourth quarter of 2021. 55% of the members of this group are female. By the end of 2021, nearly half of the active and alumni ‘LHIPO’ participants made positive career movements through either a promotion to the next level or a lateral, cross-cultural, or cross-functional move.
- The ‘Future High Potential Group’ (‘FHIPO’) was formed in the fourth quarter of 2021 and enables us to identify and develop selected employees at an early career stage who show high potential. The twelve-month program is designed to build on participants’ skills, further evolve their capabilities, strengthen their behaviors, and expand their business perspective. The first ‘FHIPO’ generation with approximately 50 members, 60% of whom are female, from all functions is locally driven in Portland.